Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"The elixir of quietude." - E. B. White

I had a couple of martinis with some friends last night, by which I mean chilled gin and vermouth served cold and neat with olives. There is no such thing as a "vodka martini" just as there's no such thing as a "tequila screwdriver" as that is called a tequila sunrise without grenadine. I'm sure there's a name for chilled vodka in a martini glass. As it seems to be primarily consumed by females, it should have a feminine name such as puppycups.

Gin is what makes a martini and I like three: Junipero from SF,CA, Hendrick's from Scotland and good old, mass produced Tanqueray.

I was taught to make a martini like any proper child of the seventies. One of my parent's friends taught me when I was 10 or 11.

Fill a shaker with ice.
Pour in a dash of Noilly Pratt; swirl it around the ice and dump.
Fill shaker with gin.
Shake until very cold; pour into martini glass and garnish with what you see fit. I prefer olives.

Repeat as needed. Which means tomorrows post will be on the other perfect cocktail - the bloody mary.

Happy New Year.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really tired of this "only gin makes a martini" argument. Go into any bar in the english speaking world and order a vodka martini and they won't bat an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too right J! Martinis are made of gin. If you order one made with vodka you might as well add "shaken not stirred" to underscore your provincial background to the bartender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Now go have a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sympathetic to your 'gin premise' and while it is a complete sacrilege to continue to call ANYTHING poured into a martini glass a 'Martini' I can abide with vodka (most particularly if married up with a flavorful gin like Tanqueray) in a Martini glass ; )

    ReplyDelete

Related Content

Related